Choosing A Better Insurance Plan

Three Considerations For Juveniles With Suspended Licenses

by Isabella Torres

If you're 16 or 17 and might have received your license at such a young age briefly--only to have it suspended due to multiple driving violations, substance abuse issues or other reasons. You may worry about your ability to drive again, and truthfully it can be an uphill fight to do so. How can you drive again?

Adjust Behavior

If you haven't been honest with yourself about why your license was revoked, nothing will change. If your license was revoked because you couldn't afford insurance or registration fees, you must ensure better income and commitment to paying those costs. If your license was taken because you were high or drunk, you may need to drop those habits before ever sitting behind the wheel again. If you were driving recklessly or have too many moving violations, you might realize your driving isn't as good as you thought, and change that. Without changes, you could be risking whatever driving rights you can get restored. Avoid bad patterns and make appropriate lifestyle adjustments.

Taking a Juvenile Remedial Course

The judge in your case might have decided that you should go through a juvenile remedial driving course before they will consider allowing you to drive. This remedial course isn't free; you'll need to come up with the fees for the course and attend every session before you'll pass. Some states' remedial courses only take a single day, but yours may be spread out over one hour increments and require a lengthier time commitment. 

What happens in juvenile remedial courses? Typically, such courses are refresher courses, which is especially beneficial if you got so many moving violations on the road that your license was revoked. Learning to handle vehicles properly, turn properly and keep proper speeds on the road are important--even more so when you've exhibited problems doing so. Your remedial course will be required before a new license is ever issued.

Securing the SR-22

To drive, you'll still need insurance. However, with a suspension, you're only likely to be eligible right now for more expensive policies that must issue you a specific form called the SR-22. The form is transmitted to your state's vehicle commission from your new insurer. You'll need this form for at least a year, depending on jurisdiction.

Your youthful mistakes may have derailed your driving life, but with behavior changes, maturity and these details, driving privileges can be fully returned. Talk with law enforcement professionals and insurance agents for guidance.